Browse la Patisserie

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Dorie's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is why I haven't been baking:
His name is Truman and he was born the day after our 1st wedding anniversary so it was kismet, obviously. ;) Sometimes he is sweet...sometimes he is a terror. But he is ALWAYS adorable. People can't get enough of the pup! And he is currently confined to the kitchen until he earns privileges in other rooms...but he likes to sniff the oven when the door opens, lick the seam of the dishwasher door when it is down, and sit on my feet while I do dishes. So needless to say...we aren't spending much productive time in the kitchen.

That said, his first full day at our house was exciting, and my in-laws wanted to come over to meet the new addition to the family. They brought pizza, and I decided we'd need dessert. Having been obsessed with finding a recipe that would make me happy in the Baker's Illustrated for so long, I decided I should give my other birthday present a try - knowing that Dorie Greenspan was too cool to let me down. I needed something fast, though, and something that would be whipped up between pee-runs outside with the new baby (and I spent a good 65% of my day outside, believe me). So I tried the chocolate chip cookies. Not only were they a hit with everyone at our house, I sent some home to hub's grandfather...who ate all 8 or so in one sitting. This is a skinny 92 year old, people. So they are a recipe we'll be revisiting. And it made a lot of cookies! Which was awesome. They are thin, slightly crispy cookies, and they have an awesome saltiness to them - I found it unnecessary to add the additional salt. I also was unable to add nuts because we have nut allergies in the family. You can decide for yourself on the nuts and the extra salt, but you should definitely make the cookies!  :)
My Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
from Dorie Greenspan's Baking - From My Home to Yours

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt (1 1/4 teaspoon if you really like salt)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 sticks (8 oz.) unsalted butter (room temp)
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chips, or 2 cups store-bought chocolate chips or chunks
 1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans

1. Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 375ยบ F. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
2.  Whisk together the flour, salt & baking soda.
3.  In a stand mixer with paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer in a large bowl) beat the butter on medium speed for about 1 minute, until smooth. Add the sugars and beat for another 2 minutes or so, until well blended. Beat in the vanilla.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each egg goes in.
5. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients in 3 portions, mixing only until each addition is incorporated.
6. On low speed, or by hand with a rubber spatula, mix in the chocolate and nuts. Now you can cover the dough and refrigerate for up to 3 days, or you can freeze it - either all together or in rounded tablespoons so you can bake homemade cookies anytime! You don't have to defrost it, just add an extra minute or so to baking time)
7. Spoon the dough by slightly rounded tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between spoonfuls.
8. Bake the cookies - one sheet at a time and rotating the sheet at the midway point - for 10 to 12 minutes, or until they are brown at the edges and golden in the center; they may still be a little soft in the middle, (Dorie says that's fine, I say it is AWESOME)
9. Pull the sheet from the oven and allow the cookies to rest for 1 minute, then carefully, using a wide metal spatula, transfer them to racks to cool to room temperature.
10. Repeat with the remaining dough, cooling the baking sheets between batches. Enjoy with a big, cold glass of milk - that is the way hubby likes them :)

1 comment:

Dreams of cakes said...

Those cookies look very tasty :-)!!