My family knows I love baking and cooking, but that I also like to lighten things up a bit when I can. My mother is a librarian and someone was discarding a bunch of old "Cooking Light" magazines and, being the awesome mom that she is, she scooped them for me! I was so happy to find this recipe as, the couple of times I have been to Italy, I survived solely on gelato, but have found the American gelato offerings not nearly as satisfying. I can't figure out why. Maybe because the little spoons just aren't the same? ;) Maybe my memory of gelato is just more than it is cracked up to be? After trying this recipe I have to say this was a great representation of a light gelato - sort of creamy, sort of sorbet-ey, and lots of delicious. Enjoy!
Cooking Light
Ingredients
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 5 cups quartered strawberries (about 4 pints)
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
Preparation
Combine sugar and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour into a large bowl; cool completely. (I made it a day ahead)
Place strawberries in a blender, and process until smooth. Add strawberry purée and buttermilk to sugar syrup; stir to combine.
Pour the strawberry mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
(My freezer bowl didn't have enough room to make the whole batch of gelato, so I reserved half of the mixture in the fridge, cleaned the bowl and re-froze to finish the second batch the next day!)
No comments:
Post a Comment