Browse la Patisserie

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Peach & Raspberry Tart


I was told not to bake my own birthday cake...so I decided that I would make a tart instead! This was an excellent recipe - it was fast, delicious, and adaptable. It lends itself to summer fruits very nicely, but I think you could easily mix it up with whatever you want. I didn't feel like leaving the house to buy groceries, so I used frozen raspberries instead of fresh, and it was perfect!

Peach & Raspberry Tart
Modified slightly from Martha Stewart's Pies


For the Crust
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone ground
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the Filling
3 or 4 ripe peaches, pitted & sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
3/4 cup assorted fresh berries, such as raspberries, blueberries & blackberries, frozen will do if you can't get fresh :)
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
 

 
1. Make the crust: Preheat oven to 400. In a food processor, pulse flour, conrmeal, sugar, salt, butter, egg yolk & vanilla until dough just begins to come together. Press dough evenly into the bottom & about 1 inch up the sides of an ungreased 8" springform pan or tart pan with a removable bottom; a 9" pan will also work if you do not have an 8". I used a 9" tart pan with removable bottom and used 4 peaches for the filling instead of 3. Set pan on a rimmed baking sheet. bake until golden and slightly puffy, about 15 minutes. using an offset spatula, gently flatten bottom of crust. reduce heat to 350.
 

2. Meanwhile, make the filling: in a medium bowl, toss together peaches, berries & sugar.

 
3. Arrange fruit in crust. Bake until peaches are juicy and tender, 30 to 35 minutes more. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool slightly. serve warm or at room temperature.
It is also good for birthday breakfast...not that I would know...

4 comments:

Inn-Photo said...

Oh yum. This may be a summer afternoon project when I have some time!!! Thanks for sharing :)

Adrienne said...

The great thing is - it doesn't take a lot of time at all! :) You just have to have a *little* time...and some ripe peaches!

Anonymous said...

This looks so lovely! I will have to try this.

Christine's Pantry said...

Looks wonderful! Yum! Mouthwatering!